Anyone else celebrate their birthday for the entire month? Well I do, and I’m not ashamed. So in honour of my 34th birthday that is right around the corner, I thought it would be fun to answer 34 questions from our friends and followers. But lets be real… I didn’t get anywhere close to 34 questions on our insta story haha. So I will answer the questions I did get and then give you some fun facts about me so you can get to know a little more about the Bird.
- How do you inspire yourself?
There are definite moments that inspire me, and let me know I am going down the right path. It’s in those moments where everything makes sense and I feel a sense of pride. I am a very spiritual/intuitive person, so I often look for signs and ask the universe to let me know which path I should take. I also let music influence/dictate my mood or maybe which direction I should head in. I know that sounds totally bananas, but first thing I do on my way to work is put my iPhone on shuffle. Whatever songs plays, I believe the universe is saying that I need to hear that song in that exact moment. So I listen to the song, rock out, and take what I need from it. It’s actually shocking how most days its a song that I was previously thinking about. Try it for a week and let me know what you think.
2. What are your go to outfits when you are tired and you don’t want to put much effort in?
This is me most days haha. Having to get a child ready for school in the morning, and get ready for work at the same time is really hard. Praise be to those ladies hustlin out there with more than 1 kid. I don’t know how you do it. For me, I gravitate towards a lighter wash denim and a plain white or black t-shirt. To kick it up a notch, keep in mind our “tuck, tie,roll” motto. Do a front tuck, side tuck or a full tuck with your shirt. If you are going for more of a professional look, I would go with the full tuck. You can also tie a little front knot. We have also been trying out tying a knot it the back. It changes the hem line in the front and gives your outfit a different look. I don’t recommend this if you have a desk job though, as the knot will dig into your back. With the “Roll” – you can always change the look of your outfit by rolling your jeans and giving them a cute little cuff and show off more of your ankle. In the fall or winter you can top it all off with a duster sweater, and in the warmer months I usually go with a leather bomber or a denim jacket. And most importantly – don’t forget to accessorize. Throw on a belt, or wear a hat. Such an easy way to kick it up a notch and take your look to the next level without too much effort.
3. How do you stay up with the current trends without breaking the bank?
Great question. I honestly feel like I recycle my clothing and just style all my pieces in different ways to work with the trends. But if you are looking for fresh pieces, Zara is a great place to go. We have both been finding great items at Superstore lately too. We also offer a service where we can come and help you style some outfits with your existing pieces in your wardrobe. We can make it feel like you have a whole new wardrobe by doing this.
4. What are some tricks you use to help clear your head during your down day? You always seem so put together.
First of all thank you. Most days I feel like my head is spinning in a million different directions, so that is a huge compliment. I feel like this could be a blog post on it’s own, so I will just highlight a few coping mechanisms I have come to trust and love. 5 years ago I was diagnosed with moderate to severe anxiety and depression. I have tried every cocktail of medication they could throw at me. I didn’t feel myself on any of them, so I had to find some other coping tools. I started to see a therapist regularly. I now go once a month just to check in. I highly recommend doing this. I have also learned routine is key to keeping me steady. That mixed with physical activity and a healthy diet. I can now feel and sense when I am going to start to go into those down/dark days and I can prepare for them. I find things to keep me busy. I enjoy crocheting, so I will pull out the blanket I have been working on and do that. I find that moving my hands and only letting my mind focus on the task at hand really helps. I also go into my happy place. Sit down and take some deep breathes. Like really feel that shit down to your toes. I will go through a metal check list. During this happy time, where was I, what did I smell, what did it feel like, could I taste anything. Really let yourself travel back to that time. While you are recalling all of this, tap yourself gently on your knee caps, rotating from left to right. Eventually you will train your brain to go to this happy place just by tapping yourself. I love using this at work if I am feeling overwhelmed. Its so discrete, no one will have a clue what you are doing. I hope all of that helps you out. And just remember, its ok to have those bad days where all you do is breathe. Tomorrow is a new day girl!
5. Red or White?
RED all the way baby!
6. Are you much of a traveller? If so, where is your favourite place you have been?
Hell yeah! I love to travel. My favourite place so far has been Nashville. I just love the vibe down there. And driving through the countryside … the landscape is breathtaking.
7. What colours do you think will be hot this fall?
I am really digging the deep dark burgundy colours and the rich burnt yellows. You are also going to see lots of navy too which will pairs perfectly with both of those colours. And of course the neutral beige palate will be in full rotation too.
8. What is your daily skin care routine?
I am currently obsessed with Beauty Counter. I love the idea behind the company and the products themselves. I start out with one of their cleansers, followed by the matte toner( it’s great for anyone with greasy skin). Most days I will follow the toner with a facial oil. I use the brighting oil. I am currently using an eye cream made by Farmacy called Dew It All. I always use a moisturizer with SPF in it! It’s all about prevention. My final step is a plumping mist from Beauty Counter that I massage in with a jade roller. I occasionally use a charcoal mask in the evening along with my nighttime skin care routine.
9. Favourite food?
Hands down rice. Any kind of rice will do, but my all time fave is basmati with China Lily Soy Sauce and some 3 cheese ranch dressing. Don’t knock it until you try it!
10. Do you have lip injections or are your lips just naturally that beautifully sculpted?
Ohhh girl, you just made my day. I have all natural lips for now. I am definitely wanting to test out a filler one day though.
11. Do you have any workout/ nutrition plans that you would recommend?
I have a few that I absolutely love for different reasons. The first one is FWTFL – this program is based on intermittent fasting and carb cycling that coincides with your workouts. This is a lifestyle that you can carry on with after the 6 week program is over. If you are looking for something to kick your ass into gear – this is a great option. I also love the Sweat app. I got the app a few years ago when Kayla Itsines started it. She has the best at home workouts. If you like to work out at the gym and lift weights, Kelsey Wells is the shit. Her workouts are also available on the app. I recently purchased a workout plan that was just released by my girl Beth Chappo and her trainer Mark Morgan. This guy is an absolute genius mixed with a healthy dose of crazy. These workouts will cripple you in a good way.
12. What is your favourite thing about the Bee? And what do you think she would say is her favourite thing about you?
I love Brett’s drive! The girl has no freakin off switch. She is the queen of multitasking. I think Brett would say that she loves my knowledge of pop culture. She is always asking me ” you know that guy in that scary movie with that girl with the curly blonde hair, who is he married to?” – and somehow I will always know the answer.
Alright! Now it’s time for the fun facts.
13. I have moved 35 times since I was born. Try being the new kid that many times.
14. I hate tomatoes, but I love salsa, ketchup and tomato soup.
15. My first trip I ever took was by myself to Thailand! I went there for a month and a half when I was 20.
16. My first car was a purple Cougar.
17. I am celebrating my 10 year anniversary as a kitchen and bath designer with Designers Choice.
18. I have the same same thumbs as Megan Fox. Didn’t realize I had them until grade 6 when some dick head said” ewwww, whats wrong with your thumbs?” words stick kids – BE KIND
19. I love wakeboarding and snowboarding. Haven’t done either in a few years. But they definitely still hold a special place in my heart. I love the water and the mountains. This is actually a great NYE resolution for myself. To get back out there.
20. I got my first puppy this year. He is 3/4 English Bulldog and his name is Bernard and he is sooooo loved.
21. I have 4 tattoos, one of which I got in Thailand and I regret that decision every time I look in the mirror.
22. I have my level 1 & 2 Reiki training.
23. I always want to have long luscious hair, and once I grow it past my shoulders, its usually up in a bun. So much for the long luscious hair. I always say I am going to make the time to do my hair everyday day … doesn’t happen.
24. I am a huge country music fan.
25. I have been to Las Vegas at least 10 times.
26. I love golfing. Im not good at it, but I still love it.
27. I have a heavy truckers mouth.
28. I designed my own grad dresses for my grade 9 and 12 grad.
29. I wish I could sing. I am awful. Like tone deaf, William Hung bad!
30. I am all about encouraging lady bosses!
31. I have the most amazing group of friends. I know everyone says that, but I know my tribe is the shit!
34. I can eat my weight in perogies.
I hope this gives you a little more insight into who I am as a person. I love being able to share with you all and answer all of your questions. To those asking me questions about my mental health, please don’t ever hesitate to DM with any questions you have. Or if you are having a bad day and need a little boost, I’m your hype girl! Thank you for listening to me talk about myself haha.